Unesco’s World Heritage List 2017 is out, with 21 new places receiving the prestigious accolade of being declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.
Essentially the Oscars for sites of natural beautiful or cultural significance, the Unesco World Heritage List is reappraised every year at the annual committee meeting.
The 41st session of the World Heritage Committee decided which of 33 nominated sites were worthy of being named World Heritage Sites.
Some 20 places were added to the list, among them China’s Gulangyu historic international settlement in Fujian province and Hoh Xil in Qinghai province. They now sits alongside the likes of the Great Barrier Reef, Taj Mahal, Grand Canyon and the Great Wall of China.
Gulangyu Island is located on the estuary of Jiulong River facing the city of Xiamen. Its heritage includes a settlement composed of 931 historical buildings, representing a variety of local and international architectural styles, natural sceneries, historic roads and gardens. Gulangyu is an exceptional example of cultural fusion.
1. Prestigious： adj. Having a high reputation; honored; esteemed. （有威望的；声誉高的）
2. Reappraise: verb. to re-estimate the value of; determine the worth of; assess again（重新评估）
例句：We had an expert reappraised the house before we bought it.
3. Annual：adj. occurring or returning once a year (每年的，一年一次的）
4. Nominate: verb. to formally suggest that somebody should be chosen for an important role, prize, position, etc. (提名；推荐；任命)
例句：There’s definitely a feeling that it would be better to nominate a conservative of long-standing conviction.
5. Estuary: noun. the part of the wide lower course of a river where its current is met by the tides. （河口，入海口）
例句：At 20 years old, Henry waded into an estuary and nearly drowned in an attempt to swim across.
6. Exceptional：adj. unusually excellent; superior. （杰出的，超常的.）
7. Endemic: adj. natural to or characteristic of a specific people or place; native; indigenous. （地方性的；某地或某集体中特有的）