给小朋友报名了暑期的英国夏令营？要带小朋友去英国的朋友家做客？还是单纯想了解英国礼仪与文化？这篇双语文章带大家了解英国文化里基本的礼仪与礼节(customs and etiquette)，大小朋友去英国也能以“礼”服人啦！
Meeting and Greeting / 见面与打招呼
- The handshake is the common form of greeting.
- The British might seem a little stiff and formal at first.
- Avoid prolonged eye contact as it makes people feel uncomfortable.
- There is still some protocol to follow when introducing people in a business or more formal social situation.
- Introduce a younger person to an older person.
- Introduce a person of lower status to a person of higher status.
- When two people are of similar age and rank, introduce the one you know better to the other person.
Gift Giving Etiquette / 交换礼物
- The British exchange gifts between family members and close friends for birthdays and Christmas.
- The gift need not be expensive, but it should usually demonstrate an attempt to find something that related to the recipient’s interests.
- If invited to someone’s home, it is normal to take along a box of good chocolates, a good bottle of wine or flowers.
- Gifts are opened when received.
Dining Etiquette/ 用餐礼节
- Unlike many European cultures, the British enjoy entertaining people in their homes.
- Although the British value punctuality, you may arrive 10-15 minutes later than invited to dinner. However, if going to a restaurant be on time.
- Table manners are Continental, i.e. the fork is held in the left hand and the knife in the right while eating.
- The fork is held tines down so food is scooped on to the back of the fork. This is a skill that takes time to master.
- Remain standing until invited to sit down. You may be shown to a particular seat.
- Do not rest your elbows on the table.
- If you have not finished eating, cross your knife and fork on your plate with the fork over the knife.
- Indicate you have finished eating by laying your knife and fork parallel across the right side of your plate.
- Toasts are given at formal meals.
- When in a pub, it is common practice to pay for a round of drinks for everyone in your group.
- If invited to a meal at a restaurant, the person extending the invitation usually pays. Do not argue about the check; simply reciprocate at a later time.
以上这些礼仪不仅能给英国友人留下好印象，也能增进交往，让沟通更为顺畅哦。当然，也不要忘记基本同时也十分重要的三句话：请(please)，谢谢(Thank you!)和不好意思(Excuse me)哦！